For years I complained about living alone, now I’m not so sure. So, last night, when I was awake again at 3am I made this pro and con list.
What’s BAD about living alone:
- There’s no one to scratch my back – and let’s face it, you can’t get a really good scratch off the door jamb!
- There’s no one to help me carry the groceries up the stairs. And once I finally unload the groceries, there’s no one to open the pickle jar. Do you know how many times I’ve spilt pickle juice on a perfectly good shirt?
- And speaking of food and groceries…there’s no one to eat dinner with. I spend W-A-Y too many nights eating alone in front of the TV.
- There’s no one to wake up to in the morning – or share my day with.
What’s GOOD about living alone:
- Everything is always exactly where I left it.
- I get the whole bed to myself, I can sleep with the window cracked open – even in December — and no one complains if I want six pillows on the bed!
- If I take home half a piece of chocolate cake from having dinner out, it’s still there waiting for me the next day.
- No one complains if I eat crackers in bed.
- I can read in bed or watch TV without feeling guilty that I’m keeping someone else awake.
- I don’t have to fight over the remote control.
Control. I guess that’s really what it’s about. Living alone allows me complete control over my existence. But what’s the sense of being fabulous if you can’t share it with someone else?